The small town of Kentville, Nova Scotia is located within Kings County and is among the main towns within the Annapolis Valley. The town of Kentville as of the year 2006, had an estimated population of six thousand people and a bigger area population of 26,000.
The town of Kentville is situated along the Cornwallis River which becomes a large tidal river downstream. The town provides the most accessible crossing place on the river along with a limit of navigation for sailing ships. The ford and later the bridge at Kentville made the settlement a vital crossroads for settlements in the Annapolis Valley.
The area was first colonized by Acadians, who constructed many dykes along the river to keep the high Bay of Fundy tides out of their farmland. These dykes created the ideal fertile soil which the Annapolis Valley is recognized for. The Acadians were expelled from the area in the Bay of Fundy Campaign during 1755, by the British authorities as they would not swear allegiance to the British King. The region was then settled by New England Planters. Settlement was expedited by the United Empire Loyalists in the American Revolution.
Kentville emerged as the business centre of Kings County during the early part of the 20th century, despite the loss of commerce after the wars to other villages in the valley. The town of Kentville has remained the professional centre of the Annapolis Valley. Kentville is home to a lot of professional services like lawyers offices, doctors, and investment companies. On the outskirts of the town is the Valley Regional Hospital, built in the year 1991. The town is likewise home to the Annapolis Valley Regional Industrial Park which employs numerous people in the area through various companies.
Agriculture, especially fruit crops like apples, remain a prominent industry within the Kentville area, and throughout the eastern part of the valley. The town of Kentville is home to among the largest agricultural research facilities in Nova Scotia established during the year 1911, referred by the locals as The Research Station. The site presently employs more than 200 individuals and sits on 473 acres or 1.91 km2 of land at the town's east end.
The northern boundary of the town of Kentville is shared with Camp Aldershot, along the Cornwallis River. Camp Aldershot is a military training base established during 1904. The camp housed as many as 7,000 soldiers at its peak during the second World War. Kentville native Donald Ripley wrote a book chronicling Camp Aldershot and its effect on the town of Kentville entitled On The Home Front. At present the camp functions as an army reserve training centre and is the headquarters of The West Nova Scotia Regiment.